On April 30th, the press release for MBC’s new drama ‘Triangle’ was held at Imperial Palace Hotel in Nonhyun-dong in Gangnam District, Seoul. Kim Jae-joong wore a black suit and a yellow ribbon to offer his condolences to people affected by the Sewol ferry disaster.
‘Triangle’ is a melodrama about three brothers who got separated at a young age but meet again after not knowing about each other for 20 years. Kim Jae-joong plays a guy who’s called ‘trash at the casino’ living in Gangwon Province.
Kim Jae-joong said, “My character is a gangster, who lives in Sabuk in Gangwon province. He keeps his desires and ambitions. He will start to change after meeting his brothers and Baek Jin-hee”.
Kim Jae-joong also said, “I’ve played cool roles so far like a directing manager or a military officer. But it was hard for me to know about the character as I have never lived like that. I actually feel that I act like ‘Heo Young-dal’ in my daily lives, except the things the character has to do. I like my role as he is more humane than other roles that I played”.
Here are the questions asked to Kim Jae-joong.
– You worked with Lee Beom-soo for ‘Dr. Jin’. What can you learn from Lee Beom-soo?
I’ve watched him acting since I was young. I admire him. I feel grateful to work with him again. I always think that I should become an actor like him.
– You are planning to join the military in the second half of the year. Will this be your last drama before that?
I think so. I’m not sure about the exact date. But I think JYJ will still perform until in the second half. We should wrap it up first.
– Why did you choose ‘Triangle’?
I wanted to join after reading the script. I just loved it. Like Yim Si-wan, I’ve been on many dramas. So I always wanted to try various roles. I like my humane character in the new drama.
– You faced so many hardships in the highlight videos.
He looks cool in some scenes. But he mostly faces so many hardships like being covered with coal. I feel sorry for him. But I’ll do my best to express him as naturally as possible. The more I shoot, the better I understand about the character ‘Young-dal’.
– Don’t you feel pressured comparing to your former drama?
I try to do my best and enjoy working. (Laughter)
– Can you tell me more about the action scenes with Yoshihiro Akiyama (Chu Sung-hoon)?
I’ve never watched ‘The Return of Superman’. But I only knew about him as a friend of mine in Japan knows him. I talked to him in Japanese cause I thought it would be easier for him but he was really good at Korean. I only got hit by him. When we talked, I felt he is against his manly image shown on TV but he is very nice and calm. I was very surprised by that.
– Don’t you want to be a solo artist? I just feel sorry and sad about it. I don’t think there isn’t any artist who wants to hide himself from the public.
– Before enlistment, You can’t appear on music programs & variety shows, what do you think about that?
“I don’t think there is any artist who wants to hide himself from the public.” (via @The_Little_Pear)
Kim Jae-joong will show a different character this time. The first episode of MBC’s ‘Triangle’ will be aired at 10pm on May 5th.